Saturday 11 October 2008

Animated GIFs at Wikimedia Commons

Throughout my various random searches across Google Images I have found a number of interesting animated GIFs, many of which came from Wikimedia Commons. Now, I know I'm slow to process things, but even I'm surprised at how long it took for me to just search the commons for GIFs, because there's a very large collection of high quality (technical and content wise) images available. Wikimedia Commons was set up by volunteers as a "media file repository" and looks for members of the public to contribute bits of educational material, such as animated GIFs, but also looks for video, sound, still images, and text to be shared on its site. Most images are technical illustrations or diagrams demonstrating various mechanical actions, theorems, processes ...





But some stuff is just weird (and entertaining) ...





No comments: