Sunday 1 June 2008

Nifty Stuff - Kitschy Decorative Goodness

I'm not a very strong browser when it comes to the internet, making online shopping near impossible unless I have something specific in mind (and even then, if I can get it in real life, I'd much rather do that). But recently, while browsing Etsy (which I tend to pass once or twice a day, though I don't get far beyond the front page), I came across work by the seller TheRunnyBunny. Now, if you've ever wanted to own work by Canadian artist Shary Boyle, which are mutated versions of Royal Doulton figurines, then I'm sure these extremely affordable ceramic figures would make fine substitutions.


Her figures are all cast from vintage molds that she reconfigures into a kind of three dimensional collage. Though many are fairly straight forward animal figures, some get more complicated and interesting. This bird for instance, has a similar "flower virus" to many of Boyle's figures, but will only set you back $20.


Another of my favorites is this Rococo "Victorian Lady Bird", again, it's a steal at $16!


I've always found Shary Boyle's figures amazing not only for their detail, nor even for their disfigurement (although, I like the idea that they are a result of a bizarre decorative cancer - how much lace, how many flowers, before you really become sick?), but because of my nostalgia for the figures my grandmother gave me (while she was going through a "give it all away" faze of her dementia) and now sit in my sister's house (they don't move very well). So together with the nostalgia, the kitschy decorative quality make TheRunnyBunny's figures that much more exciting. The detail might not be quite as mind-blowing as with Boyle's or even RD's work, but put in a few bucks and you could create a nice little collection and display. Mix in a few actual Royal Daultons and the mix-up becomes even more interesting!

No comments: